DANGER: IGNORING THIS INFORMATION CAN BE DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR WALLET!
PLEASE FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH THESE TUITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM GUIDELINES AND DEADLINES TO AVOID BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYMENT OF FULL AMOUNT OF TUITION AND FEES.
Education Tuition Assistance Plan (ETAP) provides for prepayment of tuition and approved fees up to $6000* per calendar year for approved courses leading to a GED, Associate Degree, Bachelor Degree, Master Degree, PhD, certificate or diploma at regionally accredited educational institutions. Also included are fees for prior learning assessment, CLEP, testing and license fees.
- IMPORTANT DEADLINE – Applications must be submitted no later than 45 days after term start date. Failure to do so will result in employee being responsible for full amount of tuition and fees. Applications may be submitted as early as 60 days prior to term start.
- Not all schools and courses are approved. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you submit an application for ETAP in advance to make sure your selected school and course(s) are approved.
- Not all fees are covered by tuition assistance. Fees that are not approved are the responsibility of the employee.
- ETAP will cover the approved tuition and fees of each approved class only once. Subsequent applications for the same class at a later date or at another institution will be rejected.
- When your application is approved a voucher will be issued. The voucher is used by you as payment for your class when you register or when the school requires payment. See voucher section below for instructions for voucher use.
- Do not pay for classes prior to requesting ETAP. There is no option for tuition reimbursement. Tuition reimbursement is only available at approved schools that are documented as not accepting our vouchers. This is very rare. Call the tuition assistance office for applications and assistance. Applications must be submitted within 45 days of term start date. Pre-approval of courses is strongly recommended.
*Approved tuition assistance amounts greater than $5,250 per year are subject to state and federal taxes.
Book Reimbursement – Up to $400 (of the $6,000) per year may be used for book reimbursement. Includes E-Books, book rental, and books purchased through on-line retailers and includes applicable shipping costs.
- Book Reimbursement must be for an approved ETAP, PDA, NVRAP or SETAP class.
- IMPORTANT DEADLINE – Applications for book reimbursement must be submitted after the schools drop/add date and no later than 90 days after term start date.
- Original receipt of book purchase must be included in reimbursement application (keep a copy for your records).
- Tips for saving on textbook purchases.
Personal Development Assistance (PDA) – The PDA feature of the Employee Tuition Plan provides for prepayment of tuition and approved fees up to $2,700 (of the $6,000) for classes that improve or enhance a member’s position in the workplace.
- Includes classes such as labor studies, public speaking, communication, professional development, computer classes and job related technical skills courses, including testing and licensing fees. Online PDA may be approved.
- EDUCATIONAL ENRICHMENT COURSES – up to $500 of the $2,700 may be used for educational enrichment courses at regionally accredited colleges and universities and government agencies. These are courses that peak a member’s interest in learning and allow for career and educational exploration. Hobby and sports classes are excluded.
- Books and certain fees are covered.
- IMPORTANT DEADLINE – Classes must be approved prior to class start date. It is strongly recommended applications be submitted 30 days before class start date.
- Once classes are approved a voucher will be issued. You must submit your approved voucher to the provider prior to but no later than the first day of class, based on the school requirements. See voucher section below for instructions for voucher use.
- Employee cannot start class without an approved Official Tuition Voucher.
- You can apply on-line at www.myuawford.com. Application processing time is 2-3 days.
- You can print an application (using the links below). Application processing time is 2-3 weeks. Please fill it out and mail it to the National Programs Center (NPC) at:
UAW-Ford National Programs Center
151 W. Jefferson Ave.
Detroit, MI 48232-50009
- Vouchers will be ready for you to print within 4 business days for applications submitted online.
- Vouchers will be mailed to employee within 2 weeks for application submitted by mail.
- Employee is responsible for signing the voucher and submitting voucher to the school by payment due date.
- Employee is responsible for following up with the school to verify they have sent an invoice to the National Programs Center Tuition Assistance Department along with your signed voucher for payment, and that we have paid the invoice.
- IMPORTANT DEADLINE – Official Tuition Vouchers must be received by the National Programs Center Tuition Assistance Department from the school no later than 9 months from term start date. After 9 months payment will become the responsibility of the employee.
- Unused vouchers must be returned to the Tuition Assistance Department with VOID written across the voucher to have employee account credited and class(s) voided.
- ETAP applications must be submitted no later than 45 days after term start date. Failure to do so will result in employee being responsible for full amount of tuition and fees. Applications may be submitted as early as 60 days prior to term start.
- Book reimbursement applications must be submitted after the schools drop/add date and no later than 90 days after term start date.
- PDA applications must be approved prior to class/term start date. It is strongly recommended applications be submitted 30 days before class/term start date.
- Employee must assure that the Official Tuition Voucher was received/or billed electronically to the Tuition Assistance Department from the school with their invoice, no later than 9 months after term start date. After 9 months payment will become the responsibility of the employee.
For questions contact the tuition assistance office at 800-367-3829 or contact Jay Gazzarato at jgazzara <at> ford.com or by phone at 313-392-7162.